Back to Portfolio

Friday, July 16, 2010

Random Thoughts from Day One and a Few Tips for Day Two

Does anyone else feel drained and invigorated (at the same time!) by all the knowledge and possibilities from the first day? Here are just my thoughts from the day.

1) I love when you learn new things about technology you have had in your possession for a long time. Did you know you could take a screen capture of the iPhone screen? Simply hold down the power button and click on the home button. The screen will flash and you will have a screen capture placed in your camera roll! And, in with the 4.0 iPhone software, you can create folders of all the Apps, so no need to shuffle through 5-6 screens to get to the app you want.

2) Tip - sometimes descriptions of ISTE classes don't really describe what you are going to see. I learned my lesson with one today after waiting 1/2 hour to get into a videoconferencing session only to find no new knowledge for me. :-( ---- Eric and Nadia, you were lucky the line was so long and you got to attend another session! Well, the good news was it provided me time to play with the new things I learned from the iPhone session! :-)

3) Quote for the day - "We are bribing students into compliance instead of challenging them into engagement" - Daniel Pink ----- I remembered this quote while contemplating Scott's talk tonight, which would have been a way better keynote talk than what we got the night before ...

4) Today, I thought I was after information on learning communities (one of my themes for the trip), but after getting closed out of sessions, my view on the day changed and I learned a great deal about underutilized educational tools like the SmartBoard. Wow! This is a tool that can be used as a complete interactive experience, put in the right hands with the right training ...

5) I love free stuff! I will probably need to take a second suitcase back on the plane for the return trip. (irony?)

6) Tip - talk to the people around you in line or at the sessions. You will be amazed at the knowledge that can be gained by them and the connections you can make! Sometimes, you may gain more knowledge than the speaker of the session ...

7) Final Tip, because I am too tired. In need of a good beer, try Rock Bottom Brewery down on the 16th Street Mall at Curtis and 16th Street. Food is great and plenty of choices for fresh brewed beer. Only a 5-10 minute walk from the Convention Center.

8) Funny video about learners that someone showed me - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hENtGSrOj5Y

No comments: