Back to Portfolio

Wednesday, February 5, 2014

The One That Got Away - no worries ...

Riding my bike this week, my music shuffled to Katy Perry's "The One That Got Away". 

Here is just a few of the lyrics:
In another life
I would be your girl
We'd keep all our promises
Be us against the world

In another life
I would make you stay
So I don't have to say
You were the one that got away
The one that got away

The song makes me think back to some of the choices I have made in my life.  At each of those times, I knew that I was making a monumental decision, a decision that would forever alter my future.  Do I join the Army?  Do I re-enlist and go to Officer School or get out and go back to college?  Do I stay with this girl or break up?  Do I move to Hawaii or stay in Colorado?  Do I take this job or keep looking?  Do I help start a new business or stay at my current job?  

I always wondered about these things, the regrets and the questions, but then I read Richard Bach's book "One".  This book explores the idea of him traveling to visit other "threads" of his life to meet his other self.  What made me so interested in the book was his idea that every decision we make creates new "threads" of our lives.  In one thread, I stayed in the Army and did become an officer and that is one of my universes; in another, I continued in school and never even joined the Army.  For me, it meant that I no longer had to regret decisions I had made, because somewhere out there I had a thread that continued on with my other decision.  I would never have to regret the "one that got away" because in some universe with some thread, I stayed.

So, if you are still with me, I suggest to you that you don't have to fret on the decisions you have made or the "one that got away", because somewhere out there, that thread continued.  

No worries ...

-Mike :-)

No comments: