Back to Portfolio

Saturday, December 16, 2017

2017 New Year's Resolutions - Revisited

We have come to the end of 2017. Yes!

It is time to take a look at my New Year's Resolutions and see how I did.


#1 - Family, Home, and Love -  The world has become a lot angrier over the last year through the election season; sadly, I don't think 2017 will get much better.   So, how do we navigate the world around us?  Well, the best way for me is to take care of my family, to make sure my home is a happy place, and to treat everyone around me with respect, love, and care.  I have no idea how I will assess the success of completing this resolution; however, I think, it is a goal we all need to set.

This year was a great year for family. I saw my sister and her family in January for a gymnastics meet.  Then, in June we had a wonderful family reunion on the beach in Kailua. So wonderful to have everyone together and time with family.  I will call this one accomplished!

#2 -  Publish my second book - I took on the National Novel Writing Month competition again in November of 2016 and what came out of it was my first attempt at science fiction.  I am well over the 50,000 words; however, the book needs some work. My New Year's Resolution is to finish it and get it published.  Look out sci-fi fans, I might give you something interesting to read sometime in late summer!

I did it!  Published my second book and my first science fiction novel.  Meet Cooper, a 14-year-old boy with a knack for fixing things. He is one of the freelancers still willing to go “topside” to ravaged cities in search of treasure. When an old man tells him that his purpose can be greater, Cooper must examine his family's past and consider a future in the stars.

Click here to see the ordering options - http://travispublications.com/



#3 - Learn how to do a dive - Well, this one is a carryover from 2016.  I never learned how to dive as a child, even though the rest of my family can dive just fine.  Now that I have been swimming so much, I need to try and learn to dive.

I hope you enjoy the video of me finally learning to dive after 49 years on this Earth!  I have to thank Suzy, my wife, and my sister and brother-in-law for their advice in making this happen.  I also have to thank my parents for renting a place for all of us on the beach that had a pool that was 10 feet deep, which gave me time to learn and practice

We recorded this on Facebook Live, which was fun!





#4 - Staying Healthy and Strong - Oh, man, do I miss running.  With my permanent knee injury, this isn't an option, but the swimming is going well and I want to incorporate other exercising into the mix.  My goal is working out 3-4 times per week.  Linked closely to exercise is healthy eating.  You would be amazed at how much better my stomach feels now that I have given up gluten and dairy.  Now, I need to learn how to add more variety to my diet.  Maybe I will try to make a new, healthy dish once a week and see how it goes.

Guess what? I am running again!  The healthy living, better diet, and acupuncture lead me to feel strong enough to try running again.  No more marathons in my future, but definitely some shorter runs.  I am running 2-3 times a week and the knee is feeling a lot better!

Wow!  This was a good year for my resolutions.  I completed them all!  Guess I have to challenge myself a little more in 2018!

Happy Holidays and Merry Christmas, everyone!

-Mike :-)






No comments: