Back to Portfolio

Tuesday, December 31, 2013

2013 - Year in Review

Well, I guess I am not much of a blogger, my last post was my 2013 resolutions!!

Here is a review of those resolutions.

#1 - Get the hood and actually graduate with my Ph.D.
--- Done!  It was a wonderful graduation, especially when I got "hooded" and then got to sit in the stands with the other professors.

#2 - Find success in the Honolulu Marathon and achieve a "best time" for me in this race 

--- Sadly, this did not happen and will not happen again, probably.  I faced knee injuries throughout the year with arthritis, then I broke my toe, finally, I messed up my left knee so bad I found myself in the urgent care and a trip to get an MRI.  Basically, I have torn the cartilage below my thigh bone in my knee.  This is where all the support comes from for doing running and other "pounding" exercises.  The doctor says it is time for me to re-invent myself through other exercises.  I spent six weeks on crutches.

#3 - Find a balance in my exercise - I have started this re-invention and I am lifting weights, doing the stationary bike, and swimming.  I have to take it easy and be careful not to re-injure my knee.

#4 - Utilize my PhD to educate othersSuccess!  Last summer, I started teaching as an Adjunct Professor for Argosy University.  I have been teaching Education classes to Master's Degree students who are in American Samoa.  It has been a great experience so far!

#5 - Family timeI would say I have found some success with this and have tried to spend more time with my family and balance my life more.  I seem to have more time on my hands lately with no more dissertation writing and no training for marathons.  My full time job is still very time consuming and stressful, but I have found more time for my family.

Well, there you have it!  I think I would say that I have succeeded on 4 out of 5 of my resolutions!  Not bad!  It only my medical injuries hadn't held me back.  At one point, I was even considering running the marathon on crutches, but Suzy talked me out of it.


Up next, my 2014 Resolutions!

No comments: